Red Squirrel Handmade Felt Ornament, 100% Natural Wool, Eco-friendly Decoration or Children's Toy
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This adorable, needle felted Red Squirrel is handmade and eco-friendly! Crafted in Peru from 100% wool, this ornament is made by dry-needle felting, a technique that transforms un-spun wool into sculptured creations. A small cotton string gives it the versatility to hang as an ornament, for use on a Christmas tree or for home decoration.
- DIMENSIONS: Measuring at approximately 3 inches, these beautiful felted ornaments were carefully made by indigenous woman participating in an alternative livelihood program that helps create sustainable economic opportunities for woman in northwestern Peru.
- MULTI-PURPOSE: These needle felted products can be used for home decoration, hung as a Christmas ornament, or used as a child's toy. They also make thoughtful gifts! (ages 3+)
- MIX & MATCH: We have over 30 felted wool animal ornaments to choose from. Explore all the options to create your ultimate collection!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Our products run through multiple inspections and are designed with quality in mind. If you don't love it, we'll replace or refund it!
Feltis are 100% sheep's wool, most of which is sourced locally in Peru. The wool is washed and run through a carding machine, which brushes the wool fibers in the same direction to create roving. The roving wool is rolled into a ball and repeatedly poked with a fine barbed felting needle. Tiny scales on the wool fibers lock together with each poke and the wool becomes very dense, allowing the creation of a firm shape. Additional wool is added to create different shapes and details for each sculpture. Spectacled Bear Conservation's Felti program, started in 2010, involves the production of small, hand-crafted, woolen animals using a method called dry-needle felting. The program is a vital component of their work and results in a direct economic benefit for the communities we partner with on creating protected areas. Felti incentivizes conservation and builds trust and strong relationships between SBC and local people. Our Felti artisans are women from rural and indigenous communities. They become empowered by earning a fair and competitive wage, with many participants earning an income for the first time in their lives. By providing an alternative livelihood that isn't related to natural resource extraction, human pressure on prime spectacled bear habitat from activities like agriculture and poaching is decreased.